It’s the holidays- celebrate them right by making these strawberry stuffed churros- Mexican Hanukkah style! This is a twist on a classic Jewish Hanukkah dish- sufganiyot (or jelly donuts), and a classic Latin American dessert- churros! I’ve always wanted to know how to DJ and mashup songs, so I apply that to my cooking. I mashed up 2 of my favorite desserts, into 1 explosive holiday dish. This is an ode to both of these desserts!
Here are a couple tips:
1. Frying the churros 2x ensures that they are extra crispy, and fully cooked through to combat their natural doughiness. I’m not much for deep frying, so I just used a deep skillet instead and filled the pan with about 3/4″ of oil. I will try to make a healthier version of this recipe in the future by baking the churros instead of frying them, but for now I’m going to stuff my face with this traditional fried version instead!
2. You can also substitute the strawberry jam with jelly, or another berry to your liking. I don’t recommend using preserves because of the fruit clumps, but any other fruit jam/jelly will work beautifully!
It’s almost like these churros are staring at me!
I hope you enjoy these naughty bundles of sugary joy! Happy holidays to all those celebrating!
P.S. Serve this with some Mexican hot chocolate, and you will be in HEAVEN.
P.P.S. I absolutely love cooking Mexican-fusion food. Here’s a short list of some of my other Mexican recipes you might enjoy if you’re like me and adore Mexican food!
- Mexican avocado toast with fried jalapenos and queso fresco
- Healthy Mexican chicken and brown rice salad bowl
- Mexican shakshuka with poached eggs and spicy chorizo
- Mexican tequila lime chicken rice bowl
Keep it fresh,