It’s Sunday brunch time! Brunch is a truly luxurious time of day. It’s a time to bring family and friends together over the best food and drinks. I went for a slightly healthier version of pancakes today- with blueberries and almond milk. The results were fantastic, and I’m really happy to share this recipe for my blueberry almond milk pancakes with you! Blueberry pancakes stacked and piled up high with macerated blueberries and homemade whipped cream- take a look yourself
Pancakes are iconic to any American breakfast or brunch, and for good reason! They’re so delicious and so versatile- I love pumpkin pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, banana pancakes, you name it.
Let me break down the components of this dish for you and why this pancake recipe works!
- Almond milk- this is a healthier, lower calorie substitute for milk. Not only that, it actually makes the pancakes super fluffy and silky. Although almond milk isn’t milk, I still drink it directly out of a glass- it’s absolutely delicious. No dairy bloat which is a plus too!
- Blueberries in the batter- blueberries are one of my favorite fruits! They’re so tart and delicious and so, so, so good for you. Tons of antioxidants, and very low on the GI (glycemic index). What’s also cool about using blueberries in the batter, is that they pop when they cook! Blueberries burst when heat is applied to them, so they naturally release their juices which make for a really pretty gradient within your pancakes. Take a look here how they look!
Blueberry almond milk pancakes- up close and personal!
- Macerated blueberries– macerating is a really fancy word for just adding sugar to fruit. Although this is simple, the results are really outstanding. Obviously, adding sugar to anything will make it sweeter. But letting fruit sit in a little bit of sugar releases the natural sweetness of the fruit, and gives the fruit a really beautiful glossy, shiny texture naturally.
- Fresh whipped cream– don’t ever use store-bought whipped cream ever again! Seriously guys, that stuff literally tastes like chemical air. Whipped cream is incredibly easy to make at home. If you don’t have an electric mixer or KitchenAid, you get a nice workout from whipping the cream by hand (win win)! Beat heavy whipping cream until light and airy, and incorporate some sugar into it along the way. That’s it! You can even add some fresh lemon, lime, or orange zest for some tang!
- Naturally sweetened batter– there is barely any sugar in the recipe for these blueberry almond milk pancakes. That’s because it is naturally sweetened with honey- which is ALSO absolutely delicious and healthy for you.
Whipped cream canal- take 2 spoons. Scoop some whipped cream with 1 spoon, and keep toggling back and forth between the 2 spoons to form a canal.
Be sure to keep in touch with me through Instagram!
-Fresh Chef Nikki